Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Ethnocentric . the new buzz word


  1. Ethnocentric...
  2. Evaluating 
    other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of ones own culture.
This appears to be the new buzzword at the moment.
Once over  when people didn't agree with you if you didn't like certain aspects of immigration or someone else's culture you were xenophobic,  bigoted or the all time favourites-racist or nazi. 

But now its become more mainstream to actually speak out without fear of being called these names. Okay the regressive left still shout them but they will never change and accept anyone's view but their own. 
UKIP had loads to do with this mindset. They single  handedly rewrote many of the rules as to what is racist and what isnt,;and thats not an endorsement for Farage .

But now there's a new word seeping into our societal physce -ethnocentric.
If you critisce  any culture or religion that is not yours you are now in the firing line to be called this. 
Its not a new word but it's a one I'm hearing more and more frequently. Even from people I have a lot of respect and time for .

So if you criticise  another culture your obviously judging it from your standpoint in your culture. In other words your being superior. Yeah I can see that with little Englanders and people who are genuinely racist" Our cultures better the yours" mindset.

But that's now where I'm coming from. I don't want anyone to become British,  I don't even know what that means. I want people to become modern and progressive. 
If I'm being ethnocentric because I believe that certain aspects of someones culture is backward or downright barbaric I'm going to say it is. I'm not coming at it from my cultural perspective. I'm coming at it from a rational human being perspective. 

Where do we draw the line with this new hip word. Can I not criticise fgm because its not my culture. Can I not oppose forced marriage or honour killings because it not  my culture.

Was the apartheid system in South Africa cultural so no one had the right to speak out in fear of being labelled ethnocentric. 
Should I not write a post condemning the racist Sikhs in Birmingham who oppose mixed race marriages because its not my culture therefore who am I to criticise. What about the Indian caste system . Should I just keep quiet because I'm looking  at it from my cultural perspective.

Just like the words racist, fascist,bigot,xenophobe and even islamophobic-ethnocentric  is this just another word to stifle criticism.  
There are many many aspects of all  cultures that is admirable but there are just as many if not more that need consigned to the dark ages. I have actually had a Corbyn supporter last year who  works for an anti racist group  defend the rape epidemic sweeping Europe. 
Because 'I have to understand these men are coming from different cultures to our own and therfore don't know the rules'. 
Well I'm sorry but fuck off. 
If you honestly don't know in your brain and heart that it's wrong to rape or mutilate a young girl.  If you think women are second class or gays or Apostates should be killed . I really dont give a shit about your cultural feelings. 
And regressive leftists who use ths bullshit word  to excuse this behaviour well I'm sorry but your the biggest problem of all. We are all human beings and I reserve the right to slag of, critisce mock and to actively try to destroy a practice or thought process that is barbaric or backwards. 

And to reittrerate this blog is not directed at the last person to use this word but the many others who have started using it this last few months . 

No comments:

Post a Comment